This recipe is very popular in Pennsylvania where my family is from.  There are slightly different names and slightly different recipes but basically halushka or haluski is a braised cabbage dish with either noodles, pasta or dumplings and sometimes bacon, ham or smoked sausage added.  It is sometimes a side dish but most often it's a main dish.  It is a common potluck dish.

In my version I use bacon and drippings and homemade dumplings.  Most recipes will call for cooked wide egg noodles, kluski noodles or bite size pasta like farfalle (bowties).  Instead, I like to make dumplings because they are delicious and because its more likely that I'll have a cup of flour and an egg on hand than a bag of noodles.  Either way it is a quick, easy, inexpensive and delicious dinner.

If you want to omit the bacon you can substitute butter for a vegetarian version or use olive oil and an egg-free pasta for a vegan friendly version.

I hope you give this recipe and try and I hope that you love it as much as my family does.



Ingredients:
1 medium cabbage, quartered, cored and sliced into 1/4" ribbons (about 10 cups)
2 cups chopped onions
1 cup matchstick carrots (or 3/4 cup grated carrot)
1/2 pound bacon sliced across in 1/2 inch slices
salt and pepper

Dumplings
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking POWDER
1 egg
2-3 TBSP cool water

0 Comments